2:44PM February 3 2012
I’ve just conducted a few sessions with over 160 small business owners about the importance of social media. One of the key points I drove home was the fact that brands have to make content relevant to their audiences, be it on a personal or professional level. Without relevance, they aren’t going to generate productive engagement or dialog with their communities. Something that is only too pertinent for any business wanting to create a name for itself via social media platforms.
Unfortunately, many brands still don’t take advantage of this content opportunity, so it comes as no surprise to read in Metro this morning that only 36% of tweets received are of any interest and the remaining 64% are generally disliked or forgotten altogether! Globally this means around 130 million tweets sent each day are irrelevant to peoples’ lives. That’s a lot of wastage.
The article goes on to outline some sensible tips for improving tweets based on research that gathered information from 1,500 Twitter users in the US. Interestingly, it also highlighted the fact that the introduction of a ‘content filter could provide users with a much more relevant service.’
Tips on getting it right:
1. Twitter is fast moving, don’t repeat tweets that have been around a long time.
2. Contribute to the conversation; add your opinion rather than just commenting.
3. You may have 140 characters, but you don’t have to use them all.
4. Don’t overuse hash tags, @mentions and abbreviations.
5. Don’t tell people where you are all the time.
6. Don’t just link to a blog or a photo without giving readers a reason they should click on it. 7. Don’t whine
8. Be a tease. If you want someone to go on to your website don’t give them the whole story.